781 Area Code | 781
where is area code 781 located ?
Area code 781 covers most of the Boston suburbs roughly along Route 128 and about two-thirds of the South Shore. It was created as a split from area code 617 on September 1, 1997. (LATA code 128). Use of 781 became mandatory February 1, 1998. Area code 339 has been sharing the service area since May 2, 2001. Since then, 10 digit local dialing is mandatory.
Some mobile phone numbers from the 1990s assigned to rate centers in 781 and 339 kept the 617 area code just on those mobile lines after it was split.
Portions of the following counties are covered:
- Eastcentral Mass.
- Some of SE Mass.
- Most of the South Shore and some of the North Shore
- Suburbs along Route 128 and some surrounding towns
Central office codes (by location)
- 2-1-1: United Way Worldwide (UWW) and the Alliance for Information and Referral Systems (AIRS)
- 3-1-1: unused
- 4-1-1: directory assistance
- 5-1-1: traffic information or police non-emergency services (treated as calling to the 617 area code)
- 6-1-1: unused
- 7-1-1: TDD relay (MassRelay) for the deaf
- 8-1-1: underground public utility location (Dig Safe),
- 9-1-1: emergency services