Arizona Area Codes
what are Arizona's area codes located ?
This is a list of telephone area codes in Arizona.
- 602 - For telephone numbers in Phoenix city proper except for Ahwatukee and some western parts of the city.
- 520 - Southern Arizona, including Tucson, Nogales, Casa Grande and Tombstone.
- 480 - Maricopa County and parts of Pinal County, east of the Phoenix city limits and the Phoenix neighborhood of Ahwatukee. Includes Mesa, Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek, San Tan Valley, Apache Junction and Fountain Hills.
- 623 - Maricopa County, west of the Phoenix city limits and some western parts of the city. Includes the cities of Glendale, Goodyear, Avondale, Tolleson, Buckeye, Sun City, Litchfield Park, Surprise and Peoria.
- 928 - Northern and Western Arizona, including Yuma, Flagstaff, the Grand Canyon, Payson, Prescott, Lake Havasu City, Bullhead City, and Kingman.
- Originally, Arizona only had one area code: 602.
- In 1995, the state of Arizona was split into two area codes. Maricopa County retained area code 602, and the rest of the state adopted area code 520.
- In 1999, Maricopa County was divided into area codes 602, 480, and 623 (see above section for descriptions).
- In 2001, the state outside of Maricopa County was divided into northern and southern halves. The southern half retained area code 520, and the northern half was assigned area code 928.